Friday, December 10, 2010

Judge Not!

Something's been bugging me all day, hearing about more Westboro BS.

Didn't Jesus basically say that if we judge others, we shall be judged according to the same standard?

I dunno about anyone else, but I fail to do the good I know to do (and fail to refrain from doing the bad I know not to do) as often as the worst "sinner."
I don't judge people because I know I would fail if measured by the same stick.

However, there is a difference between judging people and acknowledging that their actions do not measure up to our personal moral standard (even as we acknowledge that OUR actions do not measure up).

This is the difference between saying "You lied. Lying is bad." and "You are the sort of person who lies."
In the former instance, we are stating that an individual action is immoral.
In the latter, we are stating that a PERSON is immoral, that everything which makes them who they are is flawed, degenerate, etc.

We are called to do the former, in love, acknowledging that while the action is immoral, the person who did the action has the capacity to, with God's help, rise above the tendency to commit immoral actions.

We are forbidden to do the latter, especially online (yeah, I know).
God alone knows the heart, God alone knows each and every one of us in the totality of our being.

Hate the sin: acknowledge the failure to live up to divine standards.
Love the sinner: embrace each and every person as a child of God, and allow His love to move through you to make a difference in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment