Wednesday, May 27, 2015

MWA 25, 26, 27 - Random Stuff

I had meant to post this on Memorial Day, but then life.
A Short Ode to Arlington
The quiet there hangs heavy, light, the silence full of sound.
The jeer of children calms itself, and tears and prayers abound.
The knowing touch of footfalls there
Reach out to spirits in the air,
Who payed the price to earn their keep:
An honored mound in which to sleep.



Okay Fox, if you're going to do reboot League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, here's how you need to do it:
1) Rated R. Before a screenplay is even brainstormed, decide that you aren't going to pull any punches on the gore or sex or weirdness.
2) Use an ACTUAL League story. As in, one Alan Moore wrote. I don't care how much you have to pay the man for the rights.
3) Preferably, use the War of the Worlds story. And don't leave out what Mr. Hyde does to the Invisible Man just before marching to his doom.
4) On the subject of Mr. Hyde, use MOORE'S version of Jekyll and Hyde. This isn't supposed to be an equal partnership. Hyde is strength and passion and brutality, Jekyll is weakness and impotence. Your argument is invalid. End of story.
5) In keeping with the pattern I've established in these instructions, make MINA the film's main character. She's the only League member present in all continuities, she's the first one recruited by MI5, and subsequently the one who recruits the rest of them, and thus shouldn't be relegated to a side role played by a failed TV actor!
6) For the inevitable sequel-talk which will result if this movie is even made and is successful, use the Century storyline. Yes, the one in which Mary Poppins is God and Harry Potter is the Antichrist. DO IT!


I am so very contradictory at times.
I say "I can't wait to move back to a place with a half-decent public library! I haven't had the chance to read a new book in a year!"
And yet not only have I not finished reading every book I've owned for years (among them Robert McKee's Story, Miguel de Cervantes' Don Quixote, and most of the written works of C.S. Lewis), I also recently inherited a small collection of history books from my grandfather, one of which I HAVE read.

So like many other people, I lie to myself as an excuse to complain.

I think it's interesting that when you confront someone with their failing to accomplish a given task, you get a response akin to "Well I just didn't get the opportunity".
Protip: Unless they're working three jobs and have multiple pets AND multiple kids?
They had the opportunity.
They lacked the motivation.
But we look down on people less for lack of opportunity than for lack of motivation.
...even though most of us really aren't that motivated most of the time.

So in this as in many other situations, we deem others inferior based on their outward demonstrations of our own inner failings.



It is entirely possible to act selflessly while being selfish.
Case in point: Religions with a temporal or eternal reward.
"I give to charity [so God will see and give me a bigger mansion after I die]!"

Also, can we stop using "I'm active in my church" when asked "Do you contribute to the community?"?
Please?

If you work through a program at your church to build low-cost housing for the destitute in your area, GREAT!
Say THAT when I ask if you contribute.

If you provide counseling for suicidal youth through a program organized and/or funded by your church, GREAT!
Say THAT when I ask about your contributions.

Saying "I'm active in my church" says NOTHING about actually contributing to the community as a whole.
Especially if yours is a church which requires conversion and/or membership for anyone to partake in the soup kitchens, homeless shelters, or whatever else your congregation provides, organizes, or helps to fund.

No comments:

Post a Comment